[MPlayer-users] -fontconfig: does it use other fonts for missing symbols?

Gábor Farkas gabor at z10n.net
Mon Nov 15 21:01:20 CET 2004

hi,

i've just discovered the -fontconfig option.
fantastic. now mplayer behaves regarding fonts as the rest of my computer...

well...sort of...

the problem is the following:

as my main font, i use Arial everywhere (yes, the microsoft one. hate
me, curse me, whatever ;)

sometimes i need to be able to display japanese text.

arial.ttf does not contain japanese symbols,
but the gtk2 applications somehow manage to cope with it.
it seems that they search all the fonts in fontconfig, until they find
the needed symbol. and then use it.

mplayer does not do this, or i configured something wrong.

i am not sure if this functionality is provided by fontconfig, or by
some higher-lever layer...

so.. did i configure something wrong, or it's not fontconfig's job to do
this or any other idea?

basically: should i create an enhancement-request bug in bugzilla or
not? :))

thanks,
gabor