[MPlayer-users] Mplayer as Imagemagick replacement

Matthias Wieser mwieser at gmx.de
Thu Nov 4 00:22:29 CET 2004

Hi,

I'm trying to use MPlayer for the scaling of PNG images.
It works quite well but the quality is not the best :-)

mplayer "mf://*.png"  -vf scale=600:-3  -sws 2  -vo png

It looks like the PNGs are firstly converted to YUV then scaled and then
converted back to RGB. The resulting images show strange colours and some
noisy looking artefacts.

Resizing a greyscale image results in pink colours. Smooth areas become
unsteady. Is that a bug?

I have tried to disable the conversion to yuv:

mplayer "mf://*.png"  -vf format=rgb24,scale=600:-3  -sws 2  -vo png

Now grey remains nearly grey (+-1%) but real photos become slightly
darker. And test images with completely flat areas show a slight
structure.

What am I doing wrong? If mplayer's scaling filters introduce such
artefacts this would probably hurt compression with mencoder, too.

Thanks for hints,
  Matthias