[MPlayer-users] lavc vs. xvid (and improving lavc quality)

Jason Tackaberry tack at sault.org
Sun May 30 22:36:08 CEST 2004

On Sun, 2004-05-30 at 15:14 -0400, Jason Tackaberry wrote:
> As far as post-processing goes, what other options are there other than
> pp=vb/hb?  At high bitrates, I don't see any appreciable improvement
> with vb and/or hb.

It occurred to me that the main difference between the "dancing blocks"
in the background and the DVD is pretty much the absence of high
frequency noise.

So I tried playing back the lavc clips with -vf noise=3th.  And what a
DIFFERENCE!  My god!!

This is an epiphany for me.

At high bitrates, I can barely tell the difference between either lavc
or xvid with -vf noise=3th and the DVD source.

Jason.