[MPlayer-users] dvd video

rcooley rcooley at spamcop.net
Sat May 29 06:54:36 CEST 2004

On Fri, 28 May 2004 17:46:12 -0400
Aaron Peterson <aaron at alpete.com> wrote:

> is there a way I can use mplayer or mencoder to re-encode the video so
> it is smaller, but still dvd-video compatable

Yes, there has been plenty of discussion on this dvd-authoring on this
list in the past.  Check the archives and I'm sure you'll find plenty of
examples of exactly how others do this.

> In addition, if I add -sid 0 to the above commandline, will mplayer
> dump the chosen subtitle into the file.m2v video stream?

Quite doubtful.  MPlayer is smart, but not that smart.  Mplayer doesn't
really modify the stream in any way when dumping to file.

I'd say you'll probably have to dump the subtitles to a file seperately,
and then include them when you master the DVD. Never done that myself,
so I can't tell you with exact steps to do that are.