[MPlayer-users] Program stream (vob) to transport stream transcoding

Dermot McGahon dermot at dspsrv.com
Thu May 27 11:33:17 CEST 2004

On Thu, 27 May 2004 11:17:23 +0200, Nico Sabbi <nsabbi at tiscali.it> wrote:

>> What would people recommend for program stream (vobs copied
>> from dvd with vobcopy) to transport stream, transcoding?

> vls -d file.ts dvd://DIR_TO_VOBS
> vlc --sout '#std{mux=ts,access=file,url=file.ts}'  dvd://DIR_TO_VOBS
> (maybe in this last case you should use dvd://@DIR, run vlc --extended).

Thanks a million Nico. I presume these are two alternative ways
of doing this transcoding?

I was unable to get vls to do this solely from the command line:

[dermot at localhost vobs]$ vls -d file:CATCH_ME_IF_YOU_CAN10-1.ts
CATCH_ME_IF_YOU_CAN10-1.vob
Error: Syntax error in target definition
Command line launching failed. Aborting.

and I don't understand the difference between the two -d file:
outputs, as described by:

[dermot at localhost vobs]$ vls -help
VideoLAN Server - version 0.5.5 - (c)1996-2004 VideoLAN

  vls [options] target

                        --version      display version and exit
    -v                  --verbose      verbosity (v, vv, vvv)
    -h                  --help         display this help
    -d <target>         --destination  output
    -f <file>           --file <file>  configuration file
    -t <number>         --ttl <number> ttl value
    -l                  --loop         looping at end of program
                        --log <file>   log to <file>

  target:
    dvd:<device>     for streaming from a dvd
    dvd:<dir>        for streaming from a dvd stored on hard drive
    file:<file>      for streaming from a file
    dvb:<channel>    for streaming from a dvb channel
    udp:<ip[:port]>  for streaming in udp to ip
    rtp:<ip[:port]>  for streaming in rtp to ip
    file:<filename>  for dumping output to filename

What is the difference between a <file> and a <filename> :)

I was able to write a vls.conf that would start transcoding:

BEGIN "LaunchOnStartUp"
    command1 = "start tomorrow_never_dies localfile local1"
#  command1 = "start sync_test localhost local1 --rtp --loop"
END

It's transcoding at the moment. Hopefully, it will work.

Warm Regards,

Dermot McGahon.