[MPlayer-users] Using mplayer as an screensaver?

jhollind jhollind at hollindenfamily.org
Fri May 21 21:51:33 CEST 2004

The reason for this is it doesn't have support for virtual root windows, which
is was xscreensaver uses.

The way around this I used once is to grab the vroot.h from xscreensaver src,
copy it to libvo/, then add an include for it to whatever vo.c (or common file
like x11_common.h) you need.

The main drawback I've seen with using mplayer as a screensaver is sometimes
the screen goes blank after the 1st loop.  If you do a failed passwd, it's
viewable again.  Not sure if that's mplayer's fault or xscreensaver's.

Thanks...

On Sun, 16 May 2004 09:52:18 -0700, Harold Martin wrote
> Hello,
> I'm trying to use mplayer as an xscreensaver module. Here's the command
> I'm using:
> mplayer -rootwin -fs -loop 0 moviefile
> When I attempt to test the screensaver, I get sound but the screen stays
> black.
> Any ideas why that might be?
> Thanks,
> Harold