[MPlayer-users] Re: alsa1x, no soundcards found

adland adland123 at yahoo.com
Fri May 21 11:54:36 CEST 2004

> If I compile mplayer without any options, my available audio output drivers
 are:
> but no alsa1x !!!
> have alsa1x is to activate --disable-ossaudio in configure options

I use the default ./configure and never had this issue in linux builds
of CVS and the 1.0 series.

By the way I think audio output has been renamed to just alsa in CVS.

> alsa-init: no soundcards found: Success
> Could not open/initialize audio device -> no sound.

first thing I would do is run an strace to see what device it was trying to
 open.
It may be your permissions are wrong for the user running mplayer.

man strace
strace - trace system calls and signals

example
strace ./mplayer -ao alsa1x file

lots of output but near the end at error point you would see something like

open("/dev/snd/controlC0", O_RDONLY)    = 6
open("/dev/snd/pcmC0D0p", O_RDWR)       = 7

showing devices it tried to open

check the docs for open system call info (-1 returned is not good)
man -S 2 open

good luck