[MPlayer-users] No audio in video capture

Fabio S. fast at ferrara.linux.it
Mon May 17 21:37:06 CEST 2004

> >> mencoder -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=224 -ovc lavc -lavcopts
> >> vcodec=mpeg4:vhq=3:vbitrate=1200 -tv driver=v4l2:width=382:height=288
> >> -o test.avi tv://
> >Question: why an audio bitrate of 224?
>
> Good question.  For that matter, why the oddball width '382' and the
> nonsensical lavc option 'vhq=3'? ;)

First of all, let me excuse with everybody if some of my posts got posted
twice, while others (that you never saw...) never got posted. It was a
failure partly of my mail server, partly of my settings. Now everything
should work as expected, I whish... ;-)

As to the width, it was just an error in copying the command: actual width
is 384=288*4/3 which should make more sense!
The audio bitrate is just a try. I am experimenting and I want to find
the best settings for capturing. In fact, I saw that changing audio br
doesn't change audio quality that much. So, maybe I can use a more
standard one (like 128?)
I have read a few moments ago someone suggesting to lower the igain value:
mine is 100, so maybe this should correct my bad quality audio.
For vhq, I read from the manual:
vhq=<0-4> ...
and I interpreted that 0 (the default) is lower quality, so in my mind 3
should be better quality. Am I wrong?

As you can guess, I am a beginner at encoding, so suggestions are highly
welcome! Reading just of a feature on the man page of mencoder doesn't say
that much about its actual meaning...

Fabio