[MPlayer-users] No audio in video capture

Fabio S. fast at ferrara.linux.it
Mon May 17 13:45:52 CEST 2004

> make sure what input you actually hear when you're watching TV. you may have a short
> jack-to-jack cable for the sound output from the tv-card connected to the one of the
> input sockets in the audio card.
>
> just watch what sound adjust bar you use while adjusting the tv volume? most probably
> it is "line in". i happen to use CD-in because i need "line in" for my stereo while
> audio CDs are never played on my PC (without being converted to mp3 first ;)
>
> to set audio i use aumix with a profile loaded from a file, but you can do it
> manually:
>
> run aumix. the first column shows a few buttons used for selecting the recording line.
> the selected one is marked with a red square. click the "line in" to choose it (or
> whatever your cable from tv card is connected to.)

Yes, this was the problem. Now it works. Thanks.
It was trivial, but if someone didn't give me a hint I guess I would nota
have foundt it, since it is not on any faq I saw... :-((

One more question, if I may

> you might also need to adjust the "gain level" slide bar for the volume.

When capturing, the audio is really bad in quality: it has an ugly echo. I
used this command

mencoder -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=224 -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vhq=3:vbitrate=1200 -tv driver=v4l2:width=382:height=288
-o test.avi tv://

with Line input volume set to 1.

I tried many settings, both for the audio bitrate and the line volume. The
bitrate doesn't seem to play a major role, while the volume does: the
bigger the worse. But I can't set it lower than 1....

Any suggestion?

Thanks a lot

Fabio