[MPlayer-users] Recoding to VCD Using MEncoder Only

Gordan Bobic mplayer at bobich.net
Mon May 10 18:10:34 CEST 2004

On Monday 10 May 2004 17:03, Nico Sabbi wrote:

> >>you missed keyint=12, but generally dvd players tolerate much
> >> longer values;
> >
> >Ah, OK. Is 12 really what the spec for VCD says? That sounds rather
> >small...
>
> yes it's tiny, and if I remember correctly it's the value stated in
> the specs, but following the standard at the letter with modern
> players is quite useless.
> In my opinion you can safely use a larger value.

OK, thanks. I'll up that to around 125, and see if it works on a few DVD
players...

> >>2 passes and mbd=2 are reccomended
> >
> >OK, I'll try it with mbd=2 and see if it looks better...

> >>-srate 44100 usually works well
> >
> >Ah, excellent, thanks, that did the trick. :-)

> >One last problem - the "dsize=4/3" (or "dsize=1.333333") parameter
> >doesn't seem to set the aspect ratio in the resulting file. I know
> > that this is being really pedantic, but I have heard that VCD MPEG
> > video should have it. Can anybody confirm or deny this, and if it
> > is required, how do I make it stick on the encoded file?
>
> dsize is useless, instead add to lavcopts ...:aspect=4/3:...

Thanks, that did the trick. It all seems to be working now, and it is
considerably more elegant than the mjpeg tools solution with stripping
out the audio and video separately, transcoding them, and only then
recombining them. :-)

All I have to do now is burn it onto a CD and see if it works on a DVD
player...

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

Gordan