[MPlayer-users] New MEncoder FrontEnd for Linux and Windows

Mon May 10 14:45:22 CEST 2004

On Mon, 10 May 2004, V Mesquita wrote:

VM>>IIRC glibc and the Linux kernel are exceptions, and you *may* release
VM>>closed-source binaries linked statically or dynamically to glibc. Otherwise
VM>>*all* commercial software for Linux would be in violation of (L)GPL.
VM>>
VM>Thanks for clarifying, I'll try to build with glibc statically linked
VM>to see how big it gets.

Don't do this. You shouldn't link to glibc statically, ever. Well,
unless you completely understand what are you trying to get. Otherwise,
you will just lower compatibility of your program. For example, most
glibc-2.1 & 2.2-linked programs will work with system glibc-2.3, since
glibc is compatible, but that may be not the case if your program was
linked to glibc statically.

Either release version linked to old glibc, either to several glibc
versions (or linux distributions - much better way, but you will need
someone to maintain these releases), either link statically to uClibc or
dietlibc.

--

Vladimir