[MPlayer-users] AMR codec

Karol Kozimor sziwan at hell.org.pl
Sun May 9 20:09:56 CEST 2004

Hi,
I'm trying to make mplayer (1.0pre4) support the AMR (adaptive multi-rate)
audio codec that comes with audio and video files produced by certain
mobile phones. ffmpeg supports it, but it needs some external code and
--enable-amr_nb to build the codec (see notes on top of libavcodec/amr.c).

My problem is that I can't make mplayer recognize the codec. I extract the
sources, extract the downloaded codec to libavcodec/amr_float. Then, as
mplayer's configure does not accept ffmpeg options, I build with
AMR_NB=yes, so that the codec builds and its symbols are found in the
resulting libavcodec.a (but *not* in the resulting mplayer binary!).

Since mplayer's default codecs.conf does not recognize the amr_nb codec, I
edit it so that mplayer -ac help shows
amr         ffmpeg    working   amr  [amr_nb]
(I also tried amr instead of amr_nb, to no avail)

The resulting mplayer output is as follows:
Opening audio decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg/libavcodec audio decoders
dec_audio: Allocating 131072 + 65536 = 196608 bytes for output buffer.
FFmpeg's libavcodec audio codec
Cannot find codec 'amr_nb' in libavcodec...
ADecoder init failed :(
ADecoder init failed :(
Cannot find codec for audio format 0x726D6173.

How can I resolve this issue?
Please Cc: me, TIA.
Best regards,

--