[MPlayer-users] New MEncoder FrontEnd for Linux and Windows

luis jure ljure at multitel.com.uy
Sat May 8 00:28:57 CEST 2004

el Fri, 07 May 2004 12:58:38 -0300
"V Mesquita" <vmesquita287 at hotmail.com> escribió:

> I don't want to make the sources available for personal reasons, but I am
> willing to compile a Glibc 2.2.x version. Could please point me a distro
> (with the corresponding version) that comes with glibc 2.2.x, so I can
> download, install and make a speciall compile?

hello,

thanks for your answer. i'm sorry to hear you prefer not to release the
source code, i'm sure many more people would be able to use your software
if you did. binaries compatibility is not one of the strongest points of
linux...

anyway, thank you very much for your offer to compile MEncodeMe for older
versions of glibc. the problem is that i use linuxfromscratch, that's not
your standard distro... (http://www.linuxfromscratch.org) i updated many
things since installation, but the toolchain is still based on LFS4.1 (glibc
2.2.5, gcc 3.2, i don't know which other packages are relevant). i remember
last year i downloaded a knoppix live cd version 3.1 and AFAICR it had the
same versions of the base packages. if you have one of these cds around that
would be handy, since you don't need to install anything, you can compile
from the live cd.

but i'm not sure that would be worth the trouble for you. even with the same
version of these packages, that's no guarantee that the application will run
on other systems. as i said, binaries compatibility is not particularly good
on linux, to say the least. so if you decide to spare yourself the trouble i
would understand.

best,

lj