[MPlayer-users] automatic aspect setting possible?

Sebastian Kaps seb-keyword-mplayer.729994 at toyland.sauerland.de
Thu May 6 11:39:25 CEST 2004

Hi!

I'm using mplayer to play video files and show them on my tv. Since I
have a 16:9 tv it makes sense to adjust the aspect of movies in 16:9
format to 4:3 format - I then can set the tv to 16:9 and thus get a full
screen Image without having to use one of the zoom modes.

I usually run "mplayer -monitoraspect 16:9 movie.avi" to achieve this.
This works for all widescreen movies, but it is not good for fullscreen,
i.e. 4:3 format, movies. One then also has to set the tv to 16:9 to
get a correct 4:3 formatted image which makes no sense since one loses
horizontal resolution.
So it would be better to set -monitoraspect 4:3 for such movies (or
additionally set -aspect 16:9).
Since I'm running mplayer from a script, it would be necessary to have
a way to automatically set the correct -monitoraspect parameter.

Does anyone have an idea how to achieve this? Maybe it's already built
into mplayer?

--
Ciao, Sebastian