[MPlayer-users] MMX2

George Tavares george at ilog.com.br
Wed May 5 18:07:04 CEST 2004

   Hello MPLAYER Users.

   Something very strange happens with mplayer in my machine. I have a PCChips M747 ( yes, I know that this motherboard sucks) with a Celeron 400. Mplayer always run fine with a Fedora Linux. Now a change my processor to a PIII 550, recompile the mplayer then the CPU strangly freeze after 5 to 10 minutes playing any video. The machine freeze even if running mplayer with a normal user. The LED of the device in use (HD or cdrom)  stays on and the mouse/keyboard doesn't respond.
   Then I try the mplayer that I compiled before change the CPU. It runs fine, without any freeze. Making some tests compiling the mplayer I saw that, after the configure runs, if I edit the config.h and disable the MMX2, leaving MMX and SSE activated, the freeze doesn't occour. Changing MMX2 the freeze come back.
   I am curious about the situation. Leave MMX2 off isn't a problem, the CPU can handle the Video that I run, not a problem. I even know if it's  a bug in CPU, or about the motherboard that is bad. I put some information about my machine (dmesg, cpuinfo) in http://www.ilog.com.br/~george/report.tgz. If somebody can help I will be happy.
   In my tests I used MPlayer v1.0pre4.