[MPlayer-users] Bad behavior when getting multiple files from stdin

Ville Saari 113762 at foo.bar.org
Mon May 3 20:30:53 CEST 2004

On Sun, May 02, 2004 at 10:24:46PM -0400, D Richard Felker III wrote:

> No, what you're doing is not even intended to be possible. It's a huge
> hack. The "correct" way to do it would be:
>
> cat *.avi > big.avi
> mencoder -ovc copy -oac copy -forceidx big.avi -o proper.avi

Encoding the contatenated avis from pipe does work in some cases.
I have encoded lots of stuff that way with DV as input codec.
It was the only option, because capturing a full length feature in
DV format required more space than I had on any single disk at the
time. I had to spread the captured files on three different disks
and then do "cat ... | mencoder". It worked most of the time.
The few times it didn't work, I got messed up audio sync, but
recapturing the affected parts of the movie from the DV tape
usually fixed it.

Thanks to plunging prices of big hard disks, I don't need to do it that
way any more ;-)

--
 Ville