[MPlayer-users] How do I set my own list of frequencies for channels?

kwtam at shelluser.net kwtam at shelluser.net
Mon May 3 03:42:56 CEST 2004

I have a question about using mplayer to watch TV: how can I set my own
frequency lists for TV channels?

I use, for example, the option "-tv chanlist=us-cable", but for some
reason my TV card has to be tuned to a slightly offset frequency.  For
example, I can turn to:

channel  9 (freq: 187.250)
channel 10 (freq: 193.250)
channel 11 (freq: 199.250)

But actually what I need is 187.750 (not ".250"), 193.750, 199.750 etc.
With the slightly offset frequency, I get the correct colours; with the
built-in frequency list, I get fuzzy colours.  Yes, I *am* using cable TV
in the USA and technically the chanlist=us-cable should work.  I don't
know why it's off by a bit.

I already know how to set the frequency with the "-tv frequency=181.750"
option, but how do I get it so that when I press H or K to change
channels, it will jump to new frequencies I define, rather than the
pre-defined frequencies?

I use Mandrake Linux 9.2 on my Athlon 1.0GHz system (640MB RAM) with an
ATI TV Wonder VE card.  "xawtv" works, since I configure it with a
frequency offset.

I've Googled and searched LinuxQuestions.com and the mplayer archives and
gone through the mplayer man page and HTML docs.  I haven't been able to
find an answer.

Is there some option I can set on the command line or in a file where I
can set all the frequencies of the channels?  I am desperately hoping that
I don't have to compile my own version of mplayer.

Ka Wai TAM   Shad 86W : EngSci 9T1 : PEng '93 : MEng '94 : MD '98 : CCFP '00
             ~{L7<RN0~}  "Ni parolu per Esperanto!"
             http://www.shelluser.net/~kwtam
             (This email was sent on FreeBSD.)