[MPlayer-users] Re: bad colors with pullup

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Mar 31 19:10:31 CEST 2004

On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 06:39:16PM +0300, Tuukka Toivonen wrote:
> I'm not getting any mail from this mailing list :( It would be nicer if the
> replies would go both author and the mailing list... fortunately archives
> work.
>
> Rich wrote:
> >I expect the device used to
> >capture this video ruined it. Was it perhaps a bt8x8-based capture
> >card? These cards (and perhaps some others) ruin chroma when capturing
> >interlaced video in yv12/i420 (4:2:0) mode. The only way to get them
> >to work right is to capture in yuy2 (4:2:2) mode and convert,
> >preserving the interlacing:
>
> Yes, you're right about the card and the capture format. So I'm somewhat
> surprised that with pp=md the colors get quite correct actually.

pp=md will always discard parts of the lower field that don't "fit"
with the upper field, so you should never be left with any combing.

> The problem with capturing in 4:2:2 is that mplayer doesn't support 4:2:2
> Quicktimes.
>
> (It doesn't really support 4:2:0 format either but at least I succeeded
> making a patch for that format... although it wasn't accepted)

Explain better and maybe someone can fix it.

> And no, I won't use mencoder for capturing into AVIs because I want the
> video in Quicktime format so that I can edit it with Bcast2000.

Does Bcast2000 have an option to convert interlaced 4:2:2 to 4:2:0
properly? If so you could convert at that stage instead.

> For Ville Saari: thanks for the patch. I'll try it sometime. (I was
> planning to write such a thing myself but you saved me from that work).

FYI, it was committed to CVS. But it's not the right treatment for
your case.

Rich