[MPlayer-users] bad colors with pullup

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Mar 29 22:30:02 CEST 2004

On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 05:10:10PM +0300, Tuukka Toivonen wrote:
> I get bad colors with pullup when I'm working with video that is "shifted
> by one field", ie. if you take bottom field of frame T and top field of
> frame T+1, they are actually from same time instance and can be combined
> into a progressive frame.
>
> Example images:
>
> http://www.ee.oulu.fi/~tuukkat/mplayer/tests/deinttest2/readme.html
>
> Using pp=md after pullup gives good results, but shouldn't pullup handle
> colors also itself? Are there better ways to handle the colors than use
> pp=md?
>
> (I can give example clip, 12 MB if necessary)

You can upload the clip if you like, but I expect the device used to
capture this video ruined it. Was it perhaps a bt8x8-based capture
card? These cards (and perhaps some others) ruin chroma when capturing
interlaced video in yv12/i420 (4:2:0) mode. The only way to get them
to work right is to capture in yuy2 (4:2:2) mode and convert,
preserving the interlacing:

-tv outfmt=yuy2 -vf scale=-1:-1:1,format=yv12,...

Rich