[MPlayer-users] wmv, rm, mov, vp6. Which is best?

Matthias Wieser mwieser at gmx.de
Sat Mar 27 21:40:53 CET 2004

Am Freitag, 26. März 2004 12:03 schrieb Amadeus:
> > Those use an automatic blur filter at high motion scenes. You could
> > simulate that effect with some mencoder video filters.
>
> I have read that VP6 does that, but I didn't knew WMV and RM did it
> aswell.

Look at some comparisons: RM and WMF filter away many detaills, if bitrate
is to low or motion to high. With other codecs you have more control over
the result.

> > > So I was wondering, does anyone know where I can read about which
> > > is best og wmv, rm, mov, vp6?
> >
> > xvid,vp6,divx,...
>
> Is it considered a fact, that xvid is better than libavcodec's mpeg4?

I have naver seen any serious comparison that showed that a recent
libavcodec is better than a recent xvid.
I have seen tests that show that recent xvid ist better than some months
old xavcodec.
I have seen many people that claim that libavcodec is the best but those
people mostly can't support their theorie.

> > The better the documentation of the codec, the better the results.
> > Documentation for xvid and divx is good, documentation for lavc ist
> > mostly outdated.
>
> But there is still being worked on lavc?

Yes, cvs (and probably mailinglists) ahow that there is some work going
on.

Matthias