[MPlayer-users] wmv, rm, mov, vp6. Which is best?

Philipp Wollermann phil_wo at gmx.net
Sat Mar 27 21:47:34 CET 2004

Hi,

Amadeus wrote:

>>>Is it considered a fact, that xvid is better than libavcodec's mpeg4?
>>>

>>No, the opposite.
>>

>In that case I am glad I have encoded everything with lavc mpeg4=)

Could someone please explain *why* lavc mpeg4 is better than xvid? I
always thought it was the opposite - xvid is a codec which is actively
developed, while lavc is a sort of "all-in-one" thing. Just thinking
about it - shouldn't a project which is fully focused on something be
better than a library which has an mpeg4 encoder only amongst several
other things? I don't want to offend someone here so please correct if
I'm wrong ... I'm just a little confused about this.

>Doom9 is known for having stupid misconducted tests anyway, like the
>review of lavc using ffvfw...

I don't think that Doom9 is so bad. Or does someone know of any better
site about this topic?

Philipp