[MPlayer-users] Mplayer setup advice needed ...

Adam Bogacki afb at paradise.net.nz
Sat Mar 27 10:05:06 CET 2004

> Those aren't errors. You don't need codecs.conf or input.conf, and
> font.desc is only for subtitles.
>

> As for why it's not working: *.ram are usually text files containing a url
> to play from. As far as I can tell, mplayer can't parse the ram file, but
> if you give the url on the command line, it works.
>

> --Loren Merritt

Thanks, but why does it not work when I use the URL (below) ?

> adam at Tux:~$ vi news.ram
> adam at Tux:~$ mplayer
> http://www.abc.net.au/broadbandnews/20040323_1400/news.smil
> MPlayer dev-CVS--3.3.3 (C) 2000-2004 MPlayer Team
>
> CPU: Intel Celeron 2/Pentium III Coppermine,Geyserville 732.0 MHz
> (Family: 6, St epping: 3)
> Detected cache-line size is 32 bytes
> CPUflags:  MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 0
> Compiled for Debian.
> Reading config file /etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf
> Reading config file /home/adam/.mplayer/config
> Reading /home/adam/.mplayer/codecs.conf: 61 audio & 169 video codecs
> font: can't open file: /home/adam/.mplayer/font/font.desc
> font: can't open file: /usr/share/mplayer/font/font.desc
> Failed to open /dev/rtc: Permission denied (mplayer should be setuid
> root or /de v/rtc should be readable by the user.)
> Using usleep() timing
> Input config file /home/adam/.mplayer/input.conf parsed: 53 binds
> Opening joystick device /dev/input/js0
> Can't open joystick device /dev/input/js0 : Permission denied
> Can't init input joystick
> Setting up LIRC support...
> mplayer: could not connect to socket
> mplayer: No such file or directory
> Failed to open LIRC support.
> You will not be able to use your remote control.
>
> Playing http://www.abc.net.au/broadbandnews/20040323_1400/news.smil.
> Resolving www.abc.net.au for AF_INET...
> Connecting to server www.abc.net.au[203.2.218.61]:80 ...
> Cache size set to 1024 KBytes
> Connected to server: www.abc.net.au
> Cache fill:  0.98% (10258 bytes)
>
> Exiting... (End of file)
> adam at Tux:~$

I don't understand

> Failed to open /dev/rtc: Permission denied (mplayer should be setuid
> root or /dev/rtc should be readable by the user.)

or

>> Setting up LIRC support...
>> mplayer: could not connect to socket
>> mplayer: No such file or directory
>> Failed to open LIRC support.

The machine plays good audio using RealOne on the XP drive, and the
mozilla mplayerplug-in (sometimes) gives me video, but no audio, on the
Debian testing drive.

It sounds like a codec (config ?) problem, although, as far as I am
aware, I have downloaded all available codecs from MPlayer HQ. Codec
config ?

Adam Bogacki,
afb at paradise.net.nz