[MPlayer-users] Re: Mplayer crashing, streaming from "ASX" xml files

Karl Trygve Kalleberg karltk at gentoo.org
Fri Mar 26 17:38:20 CET 2004

On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 01:06:42PM -0500, D Richard Felker III wrote:

> Yes, but normally is you use -playlist you're giving mplayer a text
> file you wrote yourself or at least read, not a random file you
> downloaded off kazaa or some crap.

Except of course when you try to use mplayer with the mplayerplug-in in
any web browser. In that case, you'll be served playlists and genuine
media files in an unholy mix, never able to know beforehand what a file
contains (especially because not all web servers tag the file with
correct mime-types).

So, if I read this thread correctly, there is no easy fix for mplayer
that allows it to work with mplayerplug-in.

Obviously, mplayerplug-in cannot call mplayer with -playlist as the
default argument, since mplayer then, as previously pointed out, hangs if
it's served a (large) non-playlist file.

What would the suggested fix be? To have mplayerplug-in download a
suitable chunk of the file, apply heuristics to it, then invoke mplayer
with -playlist if it believes the file is indeed a playlist?

Kind regards,

Karl T

PS. If the mplayerplug-in is superceded by a better alternative
integrating mplayer into mozilla/firebird, I'm certainly open for hints
in the right direction:)