[MPlayer-users] [Streaming setup] Reconnecting after disconnect

Jesper Weiland jesper at servicez.nl
Fri Mar 26 14:38:12 CET 2004

Hi Guys,

I'm currently making a (little dirty) streaming setup. My goal is to
relay streams in different formats (real,wma etc) to mp3 output. I've
downloaded and installed mplayer and it plays all the formats perfectly.
I use darkice to stream my signal to my relay-servers, but my setup is
really unstable.

We stream to a FIFO with the following command:

./mplayer -ao pcm http://stream1.bcast.oggradio.nl:8005/jep -aofile
/fifo/fif01 -nowaveheader -srate 22050 -cache 16 -channels 1

Darkice uses the /fifo/fifo01 and it plays well. So far so good.

But: If mplayer looses it's connection (for example due some short
routing problems), it just stops and closes the fifo. Thereafter,
darkice also stops because the signal stops.

My question (Excuse me for the long story):

Is there a way to keep mplayer running and to let it reconnect till the
stream is back again? In that case darkice wouldn't stop and we're back
online when the source-stream is back. I've found the loop function, but
that shows a mplayer crash when I use it in combination with the command
i've pasted.

Does anybody have a clue? I'm about to give my presentation to some big
clients, so any help would be very nice.

Cheers,

Jesper / Servicez.org Hosting