[MPlayer-users] wmv, rm, mov, vp6. Which is best?

Matthias Wieser matthias-wieser at t-online.de
Thu Mar 25 22:46:59 CET 2004

Am Donnerstag, 25. März 2004 01:34 schrieb Amadeus:

> I am an all xvid and libavcodec mpeg4 user, but I have read that the
> new Real 10 format is quite good, as for the new WMV.

Those use an automatic blur filter at high motion scenes. You could
simulate that effect with some mencoder video filters.

> So I was wondering, does anyone know where I can read about which is
> best og wmv, rm, mov, vp6?

xvid,vp6,divx,...

The better the documentation of the codec, the better the results.
Documentation for xvid and divx is good, documentation for lavc ist mostly
outdated.

> I haven't been able to find anything at http://www.doom9.org/

They have done comprehensive comparisons - even with the windows version
of libavcodec.

Regards,
  Matthias