[MPlayer-users] Re: problem with external not encrypted ac3 audiofile

adland adland123 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 21 10:24:49 CET 2004

Thomas <tkran2002 <at> yahoo.de> writes:

> Hi,
> I've a problem with playing a xvid encoding avi file and with an external
> audiofile in ac3 sound. I got the message Encrypted VOB file! Read
DOCS/HTML/en/dvd.html.
> The docs/faq doesn't give me an answer.
> I tried different demux options but no success.
> Playing with ac3dec<test.ac3
> or passing it directly to my ac3 amp decoder plays the audio file without
problems.
> So what's up ?
> thanks,
> Thomas

we dont know how the files were generated or have
 a link to samples

I also dont have the ac3dec program installed

my test results are shown below

dd if=/dev/dvd of=part.iso count=40000
(get small part of a DVD onto my disk for test)

source is from an unencrypted DVD-R

this file portion plays with
mplayer -dvd-device part.iso dvd:\\1

mplayer -dumpaudio -dumpfile audio.ac3 -dvd-device part.iso dvd:\\1
(get audio file as ac3 from this part)

file audio.ac3
audio.ac3: ATSC A/52 aka AC-3 aka Dolby Digital stream, 48 kHz,,
complete main (CM) 2 front/0 rear, LFE on,, 256 kbit/s reserved
 Dolby Surround mode

I have a small raw.avi downloaded from a website
which plays by itself

mplayer raw,avi

mplayer -audiofile audio.ac3 raw.avi failed to play sound
 but video works fine

I re-read the manpages and saw it states only
(wav, mp3, and ogg vorbis ) allowed as seperate audio files.

I tried again with a .wav file and it worked.
(not sure why there is such a restriction)

Unsure about your encrypted VOB issue.

good luck.