[MPlayer-users] my tests on dvd image playback

adland adland123 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 20 04:32:02 CET 2004

I was curious about this so I ran some tests.

I dont have dvd tools so I just get an ISO using linux of an unencrypted
source DVD-R.

dd if=/dev/dvd of=img.iso

  Test 1
tested playing the filesystem image file like in your example
(gathered from your command -v line output)

mplayer img.iso

fails as the video is playing back wrong but there is sound from liba52
ac3 decoder.
(it is out of sync with video)

 Test 2
alternate attempt (mount image file)

as root

1) mount filesystem
mount -t iso9660 -o loop img.iso /mnt

(loopback and iso9660 filesystem support must be compiled in your kernel)

as normal user

2)
mplayer -dvd-device /mnt dvd://1
(see mplayer manpage for more options for DVD playback etc )
plays better - video okay but Machine is too slow to keep up and audio
is out of sync.

Further tests

I tried several suggested different options
like adding -cache 8192 to 65535
and new -ao or -vo (audio and video outputs)

plus tried using CVS build versus 1.0pre3
no luck audio still out of sync.

by the way playing the DVD-R directly from the DVD device /dev/dvd
 also fails with same audio issues.

just a note VideoLan Client - vlc 0.7.1-2 which I just also had installed
  vlc img.iso
seemed to work quite well in this test audio was in sync and video played
 back looking fine.

or vlc dvd:/dev/dvd at 1

Good luck.