[MPlayer-users] pp=hb/vb/dr doesn't work while encoding?

Ville Saari 113762 at foo.bar.org
Tue Mar 16 00:41:57 CET 2004

On Sun, Mar 14, 2004 at 09:06:52PM -0500, D Richard Felker III wrote:

> > I suggest this to be added to the manpage.
> How about instead making the pp filter print a strong warning message
> if hb/vb/dr is enabled and the quantizer table is not available. Or
> maybe even an error unless the user specifies the fq (force quantizer)
> option.

Or do both the warning and the manpage (or -pphelp). It wouldn't be very
polite for a software to throw you-can't-do-that-messages at a user who
has properly rtfm'd.

> For filmdint you'll want to specify 24:25 as your out:in field ratio.

1:1 I think - unless the movie has 3:2:2:2:2:2:2:2:2:2:2:2-pulldown.
The typical case has long runs of interlaced frames for several seconds
or even minutes at a time, but not through the whole movie.

It's like if the film-to-video transfer had been done by projecting the
film at somewhat irregular frame rate of approximately 25 fps and then
shooting it from the screen with interlaced video camera which has not
been synced with the projector.

> BTW could you upload some short clips that show these filters failing?

The audio desync problem would not be easy to demonstrate with a short
clip, because it accumulated very slowly over several hours. The DVD I
was ripping was the PAL version of Titanic and I used filmdint because the
film had clips of truly interlaced video (the CGI shots) in the middle
of otherwise progressive content and filmdint seemed to be able to
selectively deinterlace the interlaced sequences only. I didn't save
the command line I used, but it was probably something like this:

mencoder -sws 5 -vf filmdint,crop=<something>,hqdn3d,scale=656:288 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vmax_b_frames=2:lmin=2:lmax=2:vb_qfactor=2:v4mv:vhq:qpel:keyint=120 -oac mp3lame -lameopts mode=1:abr:br=112:aq=2:vol=6 -o Titanic.avi streamdump.mpeg

Removing the filmdint fixed the audio sync. Unfortunately I then had to
insert a deinterlacer.

> > -vf flip alone also works fine, but -vf flip,pp=md,flip produces a core
>
> Bleh, try adding scale before and/or after pp. It'll be slow but at
> least it should fix the crash. G1's video filter system is buggy. :(

It works - thanks!

--
 Ville