[MPlayer-users] WMA DRM format?

Mike Perry mikepery at fscked.org
Mon Mar 15 01:43:14 CET 2004

Have any solutions been reached as to what to do about the WMA9 DRM
format under Linux?

The only thing I can find on the matter is this previous thread:
http://zebra.fh-weingarten.de/~maxi/html/mplayer-users/2003-07/msg00989.html
which doesn't seem to have reached any solid technical conclusions.

I've noticed that playing these files under Windows involves a query to
the DRM server to obtain a "license key". Does anyone know what sort of
information this request entails? Right now, nothing seems to be
preventing me from activating some wma's I've obtained from a friend (I
do happen to own most of the CDs the wmas are from, for those who
concern themselves with such details).

Also, the interesting thing about the query was that only one was issued
for the whole batch of wma's, depsite them having come from a couple of
different CDs (it was a "mix tape").

Does anyone have any idea on how the encryption algorithm and the query
to the DRM server works? Are there any projects underway to get these
files to play on a Linux system?

--
Mike Perry
Mad Computer Scientist