[MPlayer-users] pp=hb/vb/dr doesn't work while encoding?

Ville Saari 113762 at foo.bar.org
Sat Mar 13 23:01:44 CET 2004

On Fri, Mar 12, 2004 at 01:21:40AM -0500, D Richard Felker III wrote:

> pp should always be the FIRST filter. Otherwise it will not work
> correctly.

Is there any other reasons for this besides the alignment issues?
I have used pp-deinterlacers successfully after cropping when my
vertical cropping has been divisible by 4. I also have used deblocker
after cropping by multiples of 16 and been subjectively satisfied with
the results.

> BTW, I suspect deinterlacing is incorrect. Very few DVDs are actually
> interlaced, and deinterlacing something that's not actually interlaced
> will ruin the quality.

PAL DVDs frequently have the frames-out-of-phase-problem I described in
my earlier posting and the only effective method to fix it using the
mplayer's standard filter arsenal is to deinterlace. I use my home-brewn
phase shift filter.

I just discovered a completely new way for stupid dvd authors to ruin the
progressive video: Interlace it by taking one field from the progressive
frame as is and temporally interpolate the other field by averaging two
consecutive frames! The result is one sharp field and horrible ghosting
in the other field.

I'm still searching for a way to fix it. Median deinterlacing should
theoretically work, but the field that pp=md wants to keep is just
the wrong field for the material I'm trying to fix and my attempts to
invert the field order have resulted either colorspace incompatibility
problems or crashed mplayers :-(

--
 Ville