[MPlayer-users] Re: XviD Encoding

Alexei Khlebnikov a.khlebnikau at sam-solutions.net
Wed Mar 10 11:59:33 CET 2004

On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 23:52:07 +0100
Daniel Kenzelmann <kenzelma at stud.uni-frankfurt.de> wrote:

DK> On Tue, 2004-03-09 at 20:08, Michael Waters wrote:
DK>
DK> > I haven't tried it but it's available, at least in mplayer cvs.  In
DK> > libmpcodecs/ve_xvid4.c , search for `Features` to see the available
DK> > options. The manpage is inaccurate.
DK>
DK> It works. Thanks!

I suggest you to read this:
http://www.ogsth.com/snowbeach/MPEG-4_XviD_Koepi_24062003-1_Encoder_Guide_ver20030702.pdf
http://nic.dnsalias.com/XviD_Options_Explained.pdf
http://nic.dnsalias.com/XviD/XVID-TWOPASS.pdf

That's my options for cartoons:
quant_type=mpeg:me_quality=6:chroma_me:vhq=4:max_bframes=2:bquant_ratio=150:bquant_offset=100:bf_threshold=0:qpel:trellis:cartoon:hq_ac:frame_drop_ratio=1:overflow_control_strength=5:max_overflow_improvement=5:max_overflow_degradation=5:kfreduction=25:kfthreshold=13:container_frame_overhead=24

They are tuned for maximum quality (and maximum encoding time) at the given bitrate.
You may want turn off qpel if your bitrate is low. A person with nick marrq also suggest
using 10 for keyframe_boost, but I think, the codec should know better how much bitrate
to give to keyframes and thus I do not recommend this setting.