[MPlayer-users] Mencoder + Futurama (Sorta Long)

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Mar 9 17:25:06 CET 2004

On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 10:55:43AM +0000, Avery wrote:
> All three options you presented do not take care of the job.  Mostly?  Yes.
> Completely?  No.  There are, using any of the three, sections of the video where
> it appears the inverse telecine did not occur.  I note that these appear to be
> on areas of the disc where the source switches from hard to soft telecine or
> vice versa.  This might be why running softpulldown first lightens the problem
> somewhat?

No. Running softpulldown first should have NO EFFECT. Both pullup and
filmdint treat soft and hard telecine in the input exactly the same
(aside from some optimizations to skip redundant calculations on soft
telecined frames).

Anyway, I'm very surprised to hear that you still see telecined
material after using either of these fulters. Both err on the side of
caution -- filmdint will fallback to deinterlacing, and pullup with
simply drop mess it can't correct. Are you sure you're not doing any
inappropriate filtering _prior_ to pullup/filmdint which you're not
telling us about? If so, see if you can extract a sample that
demonstrates the failure (from the _source_, not your encoded file)
and I'll take a look.

Rich