[MPlayer-users] AVIs > 2gigs

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Fri Mar 5 18:20:23 CET 2004

Wayde Milas wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-03-05 at 10:40, Chris Frey wrote:

>> Is there some limit in the AVI file format that limits AVI's to
>> 2gigs or less?
>>
>> Thanks, - Chris
>
> Yes. Avi's (because of the way they store indexes.. would a long long
> have been that hard?) cannot have indexes when the file sizes is
> larger than 2 Gigs.

There is an extension to the AVI format, known as OpenDML, which allows
(among other things) files larger than 2GB with proper indices and
seeking. There is a patch waiting for acceptance which would add support
for this aspect of OpenDML to MPlayer, but it seems to be getting ignored.

> From what I understand, if mplayer supported the OGM (Ogg Media
> Format) container natively, this problem would disapear :)

? I don't see how this is at all related. If MPlayer could play OGM
files "natively" (whatever you mean by that), it wouldn't have problems
with >2GB AVI files?

--
       The Wanderer