[MPlayer-users] AVIs > 2gigs

Wayde Milas wmilas at rarcoa.com
Fri Mar 5 17:54:12 CET 2004

On Fri, 2004-03-05 at 10:40, Chris Frey wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I've just encoded a DVD and the resulting AVI is larger than 2 gigs
> (will just fit on 3 700meg CD's).
>
> The problem is that the index doesn't appear to work, and mplayer thinks
> that it is a raw AVI stream.  It plays fine, except it won't seek unless
> I run it with the -idx option.
>
> Is there some limit in the AVI file format that limits AVI's to 2gigs or less?
>
> Thanks,
> - Chris

Yes. Avi's (because of the way they store indexes.. would a long long
have been that hard?) cannot have indexes when the file sizes is larger
than 2 Gigs.

If you want an index you have 2 choices:
1) Every time you play it do a -forceidx which will cause mplayer to
scan the whole movie each time before it plays and generate and index.
Thi is slow and generally sucks IRL.
2) After encoding do a mplayer -saveidx name.idx name.avi -frames 0 This
causes mplayer to compute the index and save it as name.idx. Next time
you want to play teh avi file, just add -loadidx name.idx to your
parameter string, and you will have a working index :)

From what I understand, if mplayer supported the OGM (Ogg Media Format)
container natively, this problem would disapear :)

Wayde