[MPlayer-users] mplayer oddities when playing DVD

gary ng garyng2000 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 5 08:12:50 CET 2004

Hi,

I tried to play a DVD with mplayer on my xbox-linux
but encountered some annoying issues.

1. It seems that mplayer doesn't have navigation
support and the DVD I have has lots of titles, I need
to search till title 15 in order to find the movie.
xine on the other hand supports full DVD menu
navigation. Are there any plan to add this or may be I
have missed something ?

2. The subtitle is very annoying. It seems like that
some text have been displayed and quickly covered at
the position of the subtitle making that area flashing
all the time. I am not sure if the subtitle that is
visible and readable to me is an image in the video
stream or composed by mplayer and the font and size
and color of it is exactly the same as I see in xine.
And of course, I don't see that flashing background
white text in xine. How should I fix this ?

Oh, I also tried to transcode using mencoder but the
output quality is not very good even I specify mpeg4
and a vbitrate of 1200k. Sometimes, I see visible
patches in the scene like some highly compressed jpg
or may be VCD image quality. How can I get a quality
like that of the original stream without that size ?

thanks and regards,

gary