[MPlayer-users] Chroma interpolation

Ville Saari 113762 at foo.bar.org
Thu Mar 4 19:26:35 CET 2004

On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 01:46:13PM -0500, D Richard Felker III wrote:

> > It messes up the chroma if the video is progressive. And even if it
> Both of these problems were fixed a while back in cvs. I don't
> remember if that was before pre3 or afterwards though. Anyway, it does
> interpolate the fields separately, so it's not quite as good quality
> as doing them together would give, but looks fine in practice.

But it has to mess up the chroma for progressive video. Otherwise it
wouldn't do what it is supposed to do for interlaced stuff!

My mplayer is pulled from the cvs some time in February. I compared its
output to 1.0pre1 which happened to still linger on my hard disk and
the chroma combing defect appears to be softer on the newer version.
But it is still there.

It looks like if it blends the fields partially together. But if it does,
then it must cause chroma-only-ghosting in its intended usage?

--
 Ville