[MPlayer-users] How to hardencode subtitles ?

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Thu Mar 4 08:48:16 CET 2004

tarass at club-internet.fr wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've made a dvd from a vdr file with yellow subtitles. Mplayer plays
> this dvd with with subtitles, and mencoder encodes it with white subs
> too with the -vobsubout method: I RTFM ;-) it's normal mplayer
> behavior, ok.
>
> Is it possible to hard encode the subtitles (maybe during the DVD
> creation step) to make them part of the image displayed but not
> standalone, then mencoder could encode them with the video and
> without the -vobsubout ?

If I understand what you're wanting to do correctly, then yes, the man
page implies that this is possible (in the description of the
-noautoexpand option), but it does not say how. I think I've had the
impression that the subtitles will be burned into the video if you
specify a subtitle file to MEncoder and don't redirect the subtitles to
another file; is this incorrect?

It would be nice to be able to specify, on the command line, and (by
derivation) in the config file, what color to use for subtitles and/or
OSD; however, from past discussion I think I'm given to understand that
anything other than white might be a bit tricky to code, and it's likely
that the same color would have to be used for both subtitles and OSD.

--
       The Wanderer