[MPlayer-users] mplayer sound over ssh ?

rcooley rcooley at spamcop.net
Wed Jun 30 05:04:58 CEST 2004

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 22:00:59 +0200
Javier Sanchez Monzon <tino at stw-bonn.de> wrote:

> I have at home my mplayer programm.  I connect via ssh to my home, and
> then start mplayer.  I only can see the video but no sound.

SSH does X11 forwarding, but doesn't handle sound at all...  Why would
you expect it to?

> Do u know how can i fix it?

It's pretty crazy to send uncompressed video over the network, and even
crazier over the internet.  What you should be doing is sending the file
(over SSH perhaps) to the local machine, and then playing it locally.

If you don't want to wait for the entire file to transfer, you can type
something like the following:

 ssh HOSTNAME "cat FILENAME.avi" | mplayer -

You won't be able to seek, but it works fine otherwise.

If you don't want to do that, you could always setup an FTP server on
your machine, and see how well MPlayer's FTP playback works :-)