[MPlayer-users] Cache limit...

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Tue Jun 29 10:43:30 CEST 2004

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 19:47:27 -0700
rcooley <rcooley at spamcop.net> wrote:

> Allowing your media to spin-down.  A cache of 700MB (assuming you have
> 1GB of RAM or more) and your CD/VCD/SVCD/XCD can be read into cache in
> a few minutes, then no more disc access is needed.

<cut>

> Good enough reason for you?

Nope.

The *right* way to do this is to make use of the fact linux will buffer
filesystem data in RAM. you need to {work out how | write a tool to} to
get the data buffered I guess, but that would be something we could all
benefit from, and removes a silliness from mplayer.

it'd also allow you to lock other data into RAM that might cause your
HDD to spin up during playback.