[MPlayer-users] Fixing avi index with mencoder: error in the docs?

irisson jean-olivier jo.irisson at noos.fr
Sun Jun 27 18:52:18 CEST 2004

Hi everybody,

I encounter a problem fixing the indexes of an avi file following the
docs explanations. Here is all the useful information I can think of:

System:
Mandrake 10.0 Official, kernel 2.6.3
MPlayer 1.0pre4-3.3.2 compiled by gcc 3.3.2 after a simple
.configure --enable-menu
Libavcodec and XviD 1.0.1 are my only codecs.

Problem, step by step:
1/ 3 passes DVD to avi encoding with these command:
$> mencoder dvd://1 -alang en -ovc frameno -oac mp3lame -lameopts
fast:preset=standard -o frameno.avi
$> mencoder dvd://1 -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vpass=1:vhq:trell:vlelim=-4:vcelim=9:lumi_mask=0.05:dark_mask=0.01:vbitrate=1536:autoaspect
-oac copy -o /dev/null
$> mencoder dvd://1  -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vpass=2:vhq:trell:vlelim=-4:vcelim=9:lumi_mask=0.05:dark_mask=0.01:vbitrate=1536:autoaspect
-oac copy -o my_movie_1.avi
And encountered a problem:
ODML: Starting new RIFF chunk at 1023MiB.3min 1393mb  A-V:0,000 [1566:153]
I think it was because I was encoding a long movie directly from the DVD
and that my DVD player heated too much (I happens sometimes as I'm
working on a laptop). Anyway that's not the point.

2/ Because of this encoding problem there is a time in the movie where I
cannot browse anymore. Using the arrows on the keyboard keeps taking me
to back the same image, the one where the problem happened I guess.
Playing this avi after rebuilding the index:
$> mplayer -forceidx my_movie_1.avi
works just fine: the problem has disapeared.

3/ The man page tells that it is possible to fix the indexes permanently
with mencoder and the docs explain it this way:
$> mencoder -idx input.avi -oac copy -ovc copy -o output.avi
So I did this:
$> mencoder -idx my_movie_1.avi -oac copy -ovc copy -o my_movie_2.avi
and this too:
$> mencoder -forceidx my_movie_1.avi -oac copy -ovc copy -o my_movie_2.avi
but none of them worked: playing my_movie_2.avi still produces the same
problem.

My questions:
- Is there something I did wrong or is there a problem in the manual
(which I cannot imagine ;-) ) ?
- Is there a way of incorporating indexes into an avi with mencoder?
Because if it is the case I can still rebuild correct indexes with
-saveidx and the put them in the broken avi file.

Thank you in advance for any help and thanks for this great software
(I'm trying to convince my windows' using friends to use it now it is
available for them!)

Jean-Olivier.