[MPlayer-users] RE: Compiling mplayer 1.0 pre4 on AMD64

Daniel Bunzendahl bunzbunz at gmx.de
Fri Jun 25 09:44:29 CEST 2004

Hi Chris,
I tryed to get answere here too.
I'm in the same situation as you.

The Problem is SuSE !! They didn't use all Libs you nead to compile MPlayer
and many other realy packages.
There is a comment includes a protokoll of discussion with SuSE  about this
Problem.
Here is it:

----------------------------------------- snip -----------------------------

 Yes, that only works for some sources, e.g, try downloading and building
kmymoney, though this seems to be a problem with the included libtool.
This is how the thread  went, the text between the --------'s below.
<SuSE person deleted> wrote:
<ME>

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 19 May 2004, Sid Boyce wrote:
>

>> complained about not finding the library in /usr/lib. I asked the SuSE
>> guy to have a go at building kmymoney ....................SILENCIO!

<SuSE>

> Ehm, if you think I'm here to build random packages for others, you
> misunderstood.  I told you what could make libtool look into /usr/lib
> for libpcreposix.la, which is in exactly three cases: 1) another .la
> file explicitely has /usr/lib/libpcreposix.la listed, or includes
> silly things like -L/usr/lib in its dependency_list, 2) libtool itself
> contains /usr/lib in it's different *search_path_spec, or 3) libtool
> is called with -L/usr/lib arguments during linking.

<ME>
NO!, I don't have any need for kmymoney, it was just a random app on
freshmeat.net that I tried to see if it experienced the same problem as
was reported by the other guy who was trying to build something else. I
suggested it, so you could see first hand what was happening.

<SuSE>

> 2) and 3) are avoided by --enable-libsuffix=64 during configure, at
> least in recent enough KDE packages.  Perhaps your kmymoney was too
> old, you can check if configure even supports that option.
>
> 1) would be a bug in other packages.
>
> With this information I expect that you go on and try to find out what
> broke, if you are still interested.  For instance you can use /bin/sh
> -x to trace libtool runs, or post at least the relevant libtool
> commands which then breaks.  You can also do printf style debugging of
> libtool itself to see from which file /usr/lib/libpcreposix.al comes.

<ME>
I heard you LOUD and CLEAR,  I tried all that and more, including
"linux32" which seems to do nothing. There is no libpcreposix of any
flavour in /usr/lib, it's in /usr/lib64. From all the posts seen here,
there seems to be a particular problem that affects building many
applications. My endeavours have been solely to see if I could help
resolve the problem. I am a longtime SuSE user and do whatever I can (as
do the others on the lists) to encourage people to stay with this
excellent distro. There will be glitches and things that don't work
right, we try to resolve these issues and enjoy using SuSE.
<THERE ENDETH>

Nick Bargnesi wrote:

> Daniel,
>     One of the recent helps I've seen, especially with newer configure
> scripts is the use of
> ./configure --enable-libsuffix=64
> to specify /usr/lib64 and other lib64 directories with this naming
> scheme.  Other looking for 64bit libraries is bound to fail.
> -Nick Bargnesi
> u_nbargnesi at umassd.edu
>
> Daniel Bunzendahl wrote:
>
>> Hello Folks,
>> do you know general compiling Bugs/problems under AMD64 SuSE 9.0 ?
>> (2.4er Kernel)
>> If so, what is the reason and the way to fix.
>>
>> thanks a lot
>> Daniel

Regards
Sid.

--
Sid Boyce .... Hamradio G3VBV and keen Flyer
===== LINUX ONLY USED HERE =====

I think we have a problem. I nead MPlayer for work. Because of converting a
lot of stuff every day. No chance.

Fuck. I'm SuSE-Fan since 7 Years.

/daniel