[MPlayer-users] BUG: more information about AVI glitch at 1GB boundary

Rob Prowel tempest766 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 21 08:35:36 CEST 2004

A few weeks back I posted that there appears to be a
bug in mplayer/mencoder that drops macroblocks and
causes a (pop) at the 1GB boundary when reading AVI
files that use the DV encoder.

I have a little more information about the problem.

My DV encoded AVI files that are between 1GB and 2GB
in size only exhibit this problem.  Longer AVIs don't
seem to suffer.  At exactly 0:4:42 (about the 1GB
point) in the stream garbage appears and a (pop) is
heard.  Also, the encoded length of the AVI file only
shows up on OSD as 0:4:42 even though it is longer.
This does not prohibit the clip from playing to its
real end.

Also if I grab just a few seconds right around 0:4:42
and save to a new AVI the glitch is present in the new
AVI as well.

When I transcode to MPEG2 using ffmpeg directly, the
glitch does not seem to be encountered.

Could I get someone to independently verify this
problem, or at least acknowledgment that it may be a
bug?

I make heavy use of mencoder to transcode VHS content
to MPEG4 so this problem really puts a hurt on my
archiving tasks.  I can't use ffmpeg directly because
I need the filtering capabilities of -vf.