[MPlayer-users] Fixing inability to seek to keyrame?

Mikhail Ramendik mr at ramendik.ru
Sat Jun 19 23:33:38 CEST 2004

Hello,

In files that I encode, using mencoder (1.0pre4), from DV streams in
realtime, I am often unable to seek at all, or only to a part of the
file and the image disintegrates. Well this is understandable since I
have to break their creation with Ctrl+C.

In most cases, after I make another file from the realtime using
mencoder -ovc copy (encoding audio into mp3 on the way), I get a file
with perfect seeking. But sometimes things get strange. And while
seeking works, the image breaks down after the seek and until the next
keyframe; and mplayer says:

[mpeg4 @ 0x8477d34]warning: first frame is no keyframe

after every seek...

Is there a way to change this kind of file into an avi with a correct
keyframe index (or however that thing is called), so seeking would work
as expected - that is, would seek to the closest keyframe? Without
re-encoding, of course.

Yours, Mikhail Ramendik