[MPlayer-users] Rip DVD with 2 languages?

Florian Fiedler flofi_is at web.de
Mon Jun 14 16:41:36 CEST 2004

Am Montag, 14. Juni 2004 12:00 schrieb Alexandre Aractingi:
> > but, as I have raed on the list a few days ago, this part is broken and
> > not longer in use! Does this mean I only have to skip this pass and do
> > only a 2-pass encoding?? What happen to the audio?
>
> I use 3-pass encoding with the following commands:
>
> mencoder  dvd://$TITLE -dvd-device $DEVICE -ovc frameno -o frameno.avi
> -oac mp3lame -lameopts abr:br=128:vol=1.8 -mc 0
> #mencoder  dvd://$TITLE -dvd-device $DEVICE -ovc frameno -o frameno.avi
> -oac lavc -lavcopts acodec=ac3:abitrate=128 -af volume=+10db
> mencoder  dvd://$TITLE -dvd-device $DEVICE -nosound -oac copy -o
> /dev/null -ovc lavc -lavcopts

Is -nosound here right? Would this cause some A-V-Sync probs? If you encode in
pass1 without sound or isn't it needed? Sorry I don't know!

>  D Richard Felker advised me to use "-mc 0" to force the sync (thanks :-)).

This works fine for me too. Thanks a lot!

> > The thing I want to do is having 2 audio streams like
> > English and German in one file! Is this possible with mencoder? I want to
> > have the possibility to change the audio in playback!
>
> You can make an OGM file. Encode the first audio as stated earlier, and
> choose a second stream that you can encode in OGG (with "mplayer -alang
> de -dumpaudio" if you want German audio) and then merge the 3 media
> streams (1 video, 2 audios) with ogmmerge:
>
> ogmmerge -A movie.avi extracted_soundtrack.ogg -o final_movie.ogm

Well I've tried this, this works fine for the audio and in fact I can choos my
stream in mplayer but ogmmerge destroys my aspect. I encoded the files with
"scale=640:480". ogmmerge crop my black stripes and enlage the video image!
Is this normal? Should I encode the DVD without the scale option?

Here is the output from mplayer -v:
Before ogmmerge:
Movie-Aspect is 1,78:1 - prescaling to correct movie aspect.
VO Config (640x480->854x480,flags=0,'MPlayer',0x32315659)
VO: [xv] 640x480 => 854x480 Planar YV12

After ogmmerge:
Movie-Aspect is 1,33:1 - prescaling to correct movie aspect.
VO Config (640x480->640x480,flags=0,'MPlayer',0x32315659)
VO: [xv] 640x480 => 640x480 Planar YV12

the rest is partiatly the same. Isn't there any way to do this with mencoder
only? Not doing extract the audio german / code the german audio with ogg /
extract the english audio / code the english audio with ogg / encode the
movie / merge everything together!

Thanks for any hints
Solong
By