[MPlayer-users] [newbie] GUIDE to mencoder (1 or 2 CD)

rcooley rcooley at spamcop.net
Fri Jun 11 06:22:40 CEST 2004

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 06:10:19 +0400
Philippe Monroux <ph.monroux-DEL-SPAM at wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> 1) BITRATE CALCULATION :
>
> For 1 cd : bitrate=700x1024x8/t (film duration in second)

That won't work if your DVD has sound at all...  You haven't taken sound
into consideration, so video is going to total 700MB, with no room for
the audio...

> mencoder dvd://1 -aid 129 -oac copy -ovc lavc

-alang would probably be simpler than -aid, but use whatever you
prefer...

Are you sure you want to copy audio as-is?  It would save a LOT of space
if you re-encoded it into lower bitrate MP3, and your video will look
much better because it can use more bits...

>  Has  somebody written  a guide  about  this purpose

Yes, I'd say there are probably hundreds of people who have written just
such a guide.  A quick search will find several of them.