[MPlayer-users] Re: RFC: docs update for "how to create a high quality DVD rip"

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Jun 10 20:40:29 CEST 2004

On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 03:36:33PM +0200, Tobias Diedrich wrote:
> D Richard Felker III wrote:
>
> > Yeah, it's actually amazing how much DVDs suck. BTW for those
> > complaining about blocking artifacts and such in their lavc mpeg4
> > rips, guess what? The original DVD has blocking too... :(
> >
> > The solution? Rent the film cans and use professional equipment to
> > capture it at hdtv res (or higher) and with 16 bit luma precision,
> > then make a new codec that allows 16bit luma... Or just be happy with
> > what you've got.
>
> AFAIK mpeg2 does allow up to 10bit dc precision, but with current
> hardware/software you are limited to 8bit on input and output...
>
> However I don't know how big the difference between 8 and 10 bit really
> is be.

Well the blocking problem seems to be that with (stupid!) video
hardware (with improper gamma!) you can visibly see the difference
between consecutive intensity levels at 8bit precision. As long as
this is true, you're doomed to have some sort of artifact, whether
it's blocking or banding in slow gradients or whatever... A few more
bits would help a lot, but like you say everything is limited to 8.

Rich