[MPlayer-users] Bug in pullup and filmdint? (Uploaded samples)

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Jun 10 06:52:31 CEST 2004

On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 04:02:32PM -0400, Jason Tackaberry wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 15:16 -0400, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> > AFAIK there is no corrrect way to do this... AVI sucks too much.
>
> Ok.  Kinda unfortunate as I suppose that makes troubleshooting harder.

You can extract the raw mpeg with dumpstream and dd, or various other
tools.

> > Yes, I told you: this problem is from the framerate being broken. It's
> > mencoder, not filmdint, dropping the frames. It will do exactly right
> > when just _playing_ the file (with mplayer) or when encoding from the
> > DVD where the framerate is right.
>
> Fair enough.  Actually the phenomenon I observed with filmdint went away
> with I ripped with -nosound, so my suspicion of filmdint was a red
> herring.  MEncoder seems to drop some frames after it detects that the
> video is 24fps progressive with -oac copy, but it doesn't do this with
> -nosound.  I suppose this has to do with the black magic that is A/V
> sync.  With a fully 24fps progressive movie, that's not really a problem
> since those frames will get dropped right at the beginning.

Use the softskip filter and the problem will be reduced. -mc 0 might
fix it entirelt, as long as the timestamps never reset to 0 during the
movie (but if they do it could cause major desync...).

> At least the bug in pullup is real.  Hopefully the clip I uploaded helps
> in narrowing it down.

I found the "bug". Near the bottom of the picture, there's smudged
crap that's messing up the duplicate field detection. You can edit the
amount for "junk_bottom" in vf_pullup.c to fix this (increasing it to
12 works) but I should fix it so you can configure this from the
command line...

Rich