[MPlayer-users] Re: RFC: docs update for "how to create a high quality DVD rip"

Wayde Milas wmilas at rarcoa.com
Wed Jun 9 21:41:30 CEST 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 14:10, Tobias Diedrich wrote:
> Wayde Milas wrote:
>
> > Unless we run the test we will never know :)
>
> Right. :-)
>
> > Also the test was 128k mp3 against 256k mp3. I bet if they did it with
> > 128k mp3 agains raw 16 bit 44.1k (raw cd) there would be alot more that
> > would hear the difference.
>
> You misread that one.  It was 128k against CD and 256k against CD.

I've not run tests on a wide range of people.. just co workers, friends,
family, ect. Every one seem to be able to tell 128kbit mp3 from cd. 256,
of course is MUCH harder to tell. I can hear artifacts, at 256k but I've
been trained to hear em. Its also (obviously) much more apparent in
certain types of signals.

96k vorbis is about the sameish as 128k mp3. It jsut bongles my mind
that people can't hear the difference if the signal is being reproduced
accurately. I'll concede the point.. maybe I'm wrong at people cant hear
the difference.

However I'll never conceed that people cant tell 96k from 384 ac3 5.1.
If you cant hear the rear channels you are jsut plain hard of hearing.

> BTW, regarding the psy-model I thought of a better way of putting it
> into words:
>
> By using a psychological model the encoder assumes the the chain
> between decoder and listener is able to reproduce the decoder output
> 100% accurately.  This holds much more true for a high-end setup than
> for a low-end setup.  So for a low-end setup the psy-model should work
> less well and it should be more easy to tell apart uncompressed and
> compressed version.

Ok I can see the reasoning here. I'm wondering what is more annoying
though. The artifacts you hear because of phase shift/wave interference
or lack of interference in this case, or the absence of those
interfering signals to begin with.

Its an interesting point. I've read nothing researching this...