[MPlayer-users] RFC: docs update for "how to create a high quality DVD rip"

H du Plooy hdp at webmail.co.za
Wed Jun 9 09:55:12 CEST 2004

On Wednesday 09 June 2004 02:24, Wayde Milas wrote:
> I'm serious. The $100 amp and $200 set of speakers you pick up at kmart
> sound like utter garbage. Some people dont spend that much. Buying "name
> brand" doesnt mean squat either. Sony's $700 5.1 multimedia system is
> the biggest scam on teh face of the earth. The speakers have PAPER
> cones, and very small magnets. The speaker boxes are increadably small,
> not well made, and don't produce low or midrange signals worth squat.
> Even the high khz signals are muddy.
I agree.  Most of these setups (when plugged into the audio out - I have no
experience with spdif/digital out) sound lacking something.  See my other
post on sound cards.  The top of the range Creative speaker setup is
certainly a lot better than most pc speaker setups, but it doesn't blow my
hair back.  Neither does most of the surround sound setups that come with
most DVD players.   Woofer + five satellite speakers is a waste of time,
because none of them (what I've heard, at least) give a nicely balanced
sound.

> Take someone, put them infront of a good pair of speakers and amp (note,
> good != expensive, althought hats often the case) and I gurantee 9 out
> of 10 are going to pick a clean 44.1 khz 16 bit signal over a 96k vorbis
> one.
Do you have any recommendations for a not too expensive good sounding
speakers?  I used to have a pair of KEF (dutch brand, I think) speakers, with
a late 70's or early 80's era Sansui valve amp.  I got it for a bargain
second hand - fell in love with the sound the moment I heard it.
Unfortunately they were taken when I got broken in to.  I haven't found
anything so sweet sounding that doesn't cost a fortune, to replace it.

Thanks
Hans