[MPlayer-users] RFC: docs update for "how to create a high quality DVD rip"

Alexei Khlebnikov a.khlebnikau at sam-solutions.net
Tue Jun 8 11:33:26 CEST 2004

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 09:15:42 +0200
H du Plooy <hdp at webmail.co.za> wrote:

HDP> On Tuesday 08 June 2004 06:25, D Richard Felker III wrote:
HDP> > OF-FUCKING-COURSE IT DOES!!! WHAT PART OF BITS PER SECOND DO YOU NOT
HDP> > UNDERSTAND?!?! THERE IS NO UNIT OF "PIXELS" IN BITS PER SECOND!!
HDP> I stand corrected.
HDP>
HDP> > Sorry for yelling but I am tired of listening to people who are
HDP> > completely clueless and incompetent denying basic mathematical fact.
HDP> What the specifications for bitrate in an mpeg stream is, has absolutely
HDP> nothing to do with mathematics.  Stop insulting me.

Bitrate is: (number of _compressed_ bits) / (movie time).
And file size = (bitrate) * (movie time).
So the file size is the same for the given bitrate and time, regardless of pixels count.

What is different in 100x100 and 720x576 movies?
1) Bits per pixel. Bigger resolution have more pixels, so less bits are assigned
to each pixel.
2) Uncompressed bitrate or size. This is the number of bits going throw your video
card when uncompressing and watching the movie. The bigger resolution, the bigger
uncompressed bitrate and overall bits count. Off course, uncompressed bitrate is not
discussed here. It's rather large. Uncompressed movie will require 40Gb or so of
space. This can be calculated as (width * height * color bpp * fps * movie length).